Saturday, April 23, 2005

Ugh - I've turned into my simpering hippie parents

Over the the UK newspaper The Guardian, Zoe Williams has an essay up about the new Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie, and the growing realization that it is her own generation (i.e. mine as well) that has turned into those annoying a**holes who are constantly regurgitating nostalgia for the sake of turning a profit:

"Naturally, realising that you're suddenly the nostalgia generation is strange and unpleasant - you get used to being too young for culture to take your nostalgia needs seriously, and then suddenly you get Hitchhiker's, Doctor Who and Live Aid, all aimed directly at your heart. If you're old enough for your formative years to be the focus of all cultural retro-thrusts, then the chances are that you're the ones in charge, and it's your fault, not your parents' at all, that everything's going wrong."

Reminds me of the reaction I have every time one of those car commercials comes on featuring the Clash song "Should I Stay or Should I Go" - "What insufferable money-monger sold out my generation this time?" When I was younger, it was easy to blame the generation before me, and to detest the way they crammed "classic rock" down our throats in an attempt to prove that their generation's music was better than ours; now, though, I unfortunately have no one else to blame but people my own age. It's disquieting, to say the least. (Thanks to Jessa Crispin over at Bookslut.com for pointing this out.)